Monday, April 23, 2007

I had a great day

Just a quick note about something that happened to me that most of us old-timers could appreciate. It seems that some young boys in the area have been working on a 1968 Dodge Coronet that their grandfather had in the barn. They were cleaning it up and doing minor body repairs to it. They are taking body shop at the Votech School and this is their project. They were having problems starting and keeping it running. One of my neighbors told their dad and he told them that I use to work on those old beauties, so they contacted me.
I checked it out and to make a long story short, the car needed a major tune up, which consisted of points, condenser, plugs, plug wires, fuel and air filter. I never got rid of most of the stock I had when I was in business so I had most of the parts I needed, yes I even had a set of points and condenser. I dusted off the old tach and dwell meter and set up the ignition. The boys set the gaps on the plugs and put them in, I of course supervised. Fired up that old 318 and set the timing and adjusted the carb and it sounded pretty good. Were going to have to rebuild the carb as the accelerator pump and gaskets need replacing but for an engine that is almost forty years old, it sure sounded good to me.
If you could have seen the look on those boys faces when that car started and ran. It was worth more than words can say to this old boy.